The Highland Community
Examine our current practices and procedures at Highland Middle School to align with our committee's aim.
Initiatives for the HMS Equity & Inclusion Committee in the area of Community:
22-23 School Year
Continue work with Parent Comm. to help guide and develop student committee to help with committee's E&I initiatives
21-22 School Year
1. Create a Parent Sub-Committee to expand the HMS E & I Committee’s community outreach
Outline and review current and past work of HMS E & I Committee with Community
Review Student Handbook with sub-committee
- Look for equity and inclusion verbiage (ex. dress code bias) in handbook.
Mitigate racially biased language within the school's procedures, practices, and handbook
2. Create a Student Sub-Committee to review the school's incident reporting system
20-21 School Year
1. Develop Information regarding the HMS E&I Comm. on the building website
2. Gauge staff interest in starting equity and inclusion student groups for the 21-22 school year
Equal Educational Opportunities in Libertyville District 70
"Equal educational and extracurricular opportunities shall be available for all students without regard to color, race, nationality, religion, sex, sexual orientation, ancestry, age, physical or mental disability, gender identity, status of being homeless, order of protection status, actual or potential marital or parental status, including pregnancy. Further, the District will not knowingly enter into agreements with any entity or any individual that discriminates against students on the basis of sex or any other protected status."